November 18, 2009

The never ending plaster clean up.

Half of the living room all spiffed up after a trip to the dump. During which said trip to the dump I grossly over estimated my upper body strength while loading the plaster buckets onto the trailer. Somehow I thought I should carry two buckets outside at a time, instead of my usual one, in the name of saving time. The buckets are a good million pounds each. I am not strong enough to carry two million pounds at a time and paid for my impatience dearly the next morning when I could barely get out of bed.

The good thing about that though, is the muscle fatigue doesn't kick in until much much later. So I could spend the rest of the day shoveling more plaster off the floor!

With the foyer mostly cleaned of plaster chunks and still shag carpeted, I turned my attention to the other side of the room.

The plaster lays in high high piles over there. With the stacked planks in the middle of the room creating a sort of barrier that cause plaster/lath drifts. The usual method of removing and stacking the lath first comes into play here, because it is way easier to shovel up the plaster bits without lath mixed in. Just trust me on this one, a stuck piece of lath will cause many BLEEPS to come out when you are trying to get your plaster shoveling on.
Because of how high everything was piled up, it caused me some serious time delays. Took me over two hours to clear out just the smaller side of the room. I started on the other side of the room, but unfortunately lost the daylight and my motivation shortly afterwards.
Looks... better? I guess...


Lesson learned- I am not as strong as I think I am. Thankful for ben-gay back rubs.

2 comments:

  1. OMG--Is this your house??? This is going to be some project. Way to go for tackling it yourselves! Obviously I'm just getting here (from the DIY show off), so no need to answer the question--I'm sure it will answer itself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dayka- yes! that is (unfortunately) our house. but (fortunately) we're not living in it at this current time. :)

    ReplyDelete