July 24, 2009

Deconstruction Defined.

I just realized that I used the word Deconstruction in my last post referring to us demolishing the house and shed, all without even knowing if its a real word. Turns out that Deconstruction is a real word according to Websters dictionary. Yay! But my excitement was short lived once I read the definition.

de·con·struc·tion
Function:
noun
Etymology:
French déconstruction, from dé- de- + construction
Date:
1973
1: a philosophical or critical method which asserts that meanings, metaphysical constructs, and hierarchical oppositions (as between key terms in a philosophical or literary work) are always rendered unstable by their dependence on ultimately arbitrary signifiers ; also : an instance of the use of this method 2: the analytic examination of something (as a theory) often in order to reveal its inadequacy


You'll notice there is no mention in the above definition of taking a crow bar and smashing your house to bits. One would think I'd reference my giant unabridged dictionary at home once and a while before writing a post.


No comments:

Post a Comment