January 25, 2010

Philly Home Show

Friday night we met up with friends in Philly to check out the Home Show at the convention center. We already had plans to hang out and then realized that this was going to be the last weekend for the Home Show, so we asked if they wouldn't mind going there for the night. Turns out that they did really want to go, but also that they had four free tickets to the Home Show! Sweet.



None of us had ever been to a home expo before, so we really had no idea what to expect. Overall the expo was just ok. There were an overwhelming amount of hot tubs displays there, which we're not in the market for. The salesperson pitches were out in full force too, we had to brush off a lot of people who tried to rope us in and I really hate doing that because it makes me feel like I'm being rude. I just like to walk along and see what there is to see, if I'm interested in a product I'll stop.

Although the boys did get entranced by some product called the "Smart Master Pro". A masking and painting tape dispenser that promises straight smooth tape dispensed in lines with ease. Our friend bought one and used it this weekend. He's loving it so far, so I guess those gadgets can work!

We only talked to a few vendors- one was for Hardi Plank siding and the sales guy was no help. A other vendor was for garage doors and we got some good info from them that is going to come in handy when it comes time to add the doors on the garage.

Overall I wish there were more design display rooms to look at and get inspired by. There weren't many rooms and while I did think the ones they did have were nice, I just would have preferred more.

Am I going to go back to the Home Show next year? Ehhh... I'm neutral on it. Now that I've seen the place and know what it offers me I'm thinking that its just not the right fit for us and how we like to do our DIY home thing.

I'm leaning toward no unless it looks like I'm going to really need a hot tub next year.

3 comments:

  1. I saw that tape master guy taping up all the windows too! I walked right by him although that little gadget he had looked nifty. However, I was enthralled with the vitamixer booth and was completely sucked into buying a $400 blender. Hot tubs....ehh, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard those Vitamixer suckers will last forever! And they did look pretty sweet. My favorite was the amazing peeler that could peel everything...Pete had to drag me away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review! I was considering going this year and am not that sad I missed out.

    We built our shed out of Hardiboard. Great product, just annoying to screw and cut.

    ReplyDelete